Thursday, October 4, 2012

wrong place at the wrong time

I don't usually post sad things on my blog. But I had to tell this story.

On September 27, 2012 Keith Basinski was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was just doing his job, a UPS driver making a stop at Accent Signage Systems. But that day, at that exact moment there was a gunman and Keith didn't make it.

I was at work when I heard all the firetrucks, swat team and cops go by. I thought something big must have happened. Then our boss walked by and said there was a shooting. It was near the end of the day, my direction home was in the path of the event. I went the long way home, hoping that nothing too terrible happened.

I turned on the news when I got home. I saw the UPS truck. I kept thinking, "I hope that is not Keith's truck. Why is his truck there?!" The next morning, it was confirmed. It was Keith's truck. Two UPS drivers came by our office to inform us. As the official email went out, you heard gasps echoing out across the room.

He had just been at my workplace a short time before going to Accent Signage Systems. I can't stop thinking, if he had just stayed at our office a little longer he might be with us today. If he had a flat tire on his truck, if someone had called him and he was delayed going to Accent. Why did it have to play out that way?

Honestly, I didn't ever chat with him. I saw him at the front desk always happy, kind guy. He had those naturally happy sparkly eyes. When events like this happen, they really stick with you. It makes it hard to deal with piddly silly things. It's just so sad.

Keith was buried today. Signs and memorials are all over the Bryn Mawr Neighborhood. I hope Keith knew how much his happy eyes and kindness meant to all of us.

{greenbaypressgazette}

No comments:

Post a Comment