Monday, May 25, 2009

elsita







{elsita on etsy}
She has a great story/interview on her etsy page that is definately worth a read. The pieces shown above are prints made from original papercuts that she designed and cut out. Beautiful work.
Here is a snippet of her story from etsy. . .
What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?
When I was about 6 or 7 years old I remember that I wanted to cut my hair but my Mom wouldn’t let me do it. It is some kind of tradition in most Latin American countries to have very long hair until you are at least fifteen. One day I REALLY wanted to cut my hair and I decided to do it no matter what.
So I made this wig out of ripped paper that I put together with glue. I locked myself in the bathroom I put this wig on my head then I took some scissors and I cut the curls of papers in this short style. I was so happy, that’s the first most satisfying project that I remember doing with my hands.
I also remember making mud dolls after the rain. I put them in the sun to get dry and then I made them clothes with little pieces of fabric. I made lots of paper dolls for my friends at school, I had this system of making like 20 at the same time and then my friends painted their faces. I also made lots of dolls from mango pits. After you eat the mango there is the pit with this cute hair. You wash the pit well and when it is dry you can paint a face on it and tighten the hair, I had a whole school of these dolls, I miss them so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment