Sunday, June 26, 2011

12 years

12 years ago, my husband and I were married in Sioux City, Iowa. Our relationship started before I started college. I went to school in Minnesota while he was still attending his college of choice in Iowa. We did long-distance for over three years. This was before cell phones, ichat, texting, facebook, e-mail and laptops. We wrote letters and used calling cards to talk on the phone. I lived in a sorority with nearly 45 girls and only 5 phone lines. We saw each other every few weeks after a long five hour car drive. Things were so different back then.

One of my best friends from my teenage years was married this weekend. I was sitting in the pew with my husband and three kids thinking about my own life over the last 12 years. Then the bride started walking down the aisle. I am not the weeping type, however I got all choked up seeing her walk down the aisle with her dad. I thought of that silly junior high girl I used to be, my own wedding, the thought of my kids getting married and how my friends parents must have been feeling in that moment. As she walked past, the tears were rolling down my cheeks. A bit unexpected for me. Time moves to fast, it really does.

Old wedding photos take you back to that dreamy moment of time. In the end, marriage is a journey not a destination.

(No judging my wedding photo. Options have gotten so much better for weddings)

No comments:

Post a Comment