This recipe could also work with the premade Pillsbury Pie crusts from the grocery store. However this crust recipe was quite tasty and fairly simple to make. This Blueberry Slab pie was so delicious fresh out of the hot oven topped with a dollop of Breyer French Vanilla ice cream with paired with some steamy coffee. Yum Yum Yum!
Cream cheese pie dough:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese, cold and cut into small cubes
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1-2 teaspoons ice cold water
2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup superfine sugar (granulated is fine)
1 tablespoon tapioca starch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon white sanding sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. For dough: Place flour, salt, baking powder, butter, and cream cheese in a food processor and pulse until a fine meal forms. While pulsing, add water and vinegar and continue to pulse until dough forms. Dump dough onto a clean surface and form into a disc. Tightly cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Lightly flour a clean surface and roll dough out into a 12”x12” square, about 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
4. Transfer dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
5. For filling: Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and toss together.
6. To assemble: Fill one side of dough with filling, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edge. Lightly egg wash perimeter and fold the unfilled side over. Firmly press edges together with a fork and score the top of the pie to allow steam to escape while baking. Brush top with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Allow pie to cool for 20-30 minutes before cutting and serving.