Tuesday, August 6, 2013

the national : roy wilkins



My favorite band, The National played at Roy Wilkins in St. Paul August 6th 2013. On my way to the theater, I saw Nona Marie Invie walking outside the back of the building. With floor tickets in hand, I got there before Daughter stepped on the stage and wiggled my way to the front. Well nearly the front, three people from the metal fence.

I saw The National at First Ave a few years ago. Hands down First Ave is my favorite Minneapolis venue for concerts. It is just big enough for things to get a little crazy and not too big for the sound to be less than stellar. During "Mr. November" Matt Berninger walked out into the crowd. The 3,500 or so fans went bonka.

They played 23 songs lasting over two hours, ending with an acoustic rendering of "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks". My heart was full. I could have listened for another 23 songs. The one song I really wanted to hear "Hard to Find" didn't make the set. Their lyrics give you a sense of stumbling gracefully through the complex bits of life. Forever hopeful and rich with emotion.

Check out a few reviews from folks who are paid to write like wizards. TCDailyPlanet vita.mn
City Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment