Monday, May 24, 2010

design for a living : paulina reyes



It is only 3 minutes and worth a watch. As a designer, I think about my role in the world. Sometimes in my mind, I think "What am I doing, making a pretty package that will be produced, shipped and placed in stores all so someone can buy it, use it for a seemingly nano second and then it is thrown out for a lifetime in a landfill.. how am I contributing to the world?" Yes, I am making it pretty. I am selling brands and products but what am I leaving behind? How am I shaping the future?

{nature.org/design}

Ten leading designers have been commissioned to develop new uses for sustainably grown and harvested materials in order to tell a unique story about the life-cycle of materials and the power of conservation and design. The featured designers and places include Yves Behar/Costa Rica; Stephen Burks/Australia; Hella Jongerius/Mexico; Maya Lin/Maine; Christien Meindertsma/Idaho; Isaac Mizrahi/Alaska; Abbott Miller/Bolivia; Ted Muehling/Micronesia; Kate Spade/Bolivia; and Ezri Tarazi/China. On view will be the prototypes, drawings, and finished product created by the designers. The exhibition is co-curated by renowned graphic designer Abbott Miller and Ellen Lupton, curator of contemporary design at Cooper-Hewitt. This is the debut venue in a national tour of the exhibition, organized by The Nature Conservancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment