Monday, September 20, 2010

sunchips : compostable chip bag



I actually bought the new Sunchips in the 100% biodegradable bag way back in early May 2010. I noticed in the store how loud the bag was, but I really didn't care because I put the chips in containers for my kids lunches. I recently heard that sales are down and there is even a facebook page called "Sorry but I can't hear you over this sunchips bag" (with nearly 44,000 fans). I am not a fan of that page.

Honestly, I would put up with a noisy bag 100% biodegradable bag if it meant that I was helping the earth for generations to come. It bugs me a bit that a company is trying to do good and it doesn't work. However I do understand the complaint, noisy bags are very annoying. I have also heard that you should pour out the chips you want to eat so you don't end up eating the whole bag without thinking about it. New product innovations might require consumers to change their habits. In the end, the noisy bag is a good thing.

From sunchips.com "We dream of a world with less waste. That's way we're using fully compostable packaging on specially-marked bags of Original flavor SunChips® snacks. Every specially-marked bag of SunChips® Original flavor snacks is designed to break down in about 14 weeks when placed in a hot, active compost bin or pile. If it takes a little longer, don’t worry about it; Mother Nature will get to it soon enough.

Truth be told, our compostable bag sounds a bit different than our other bags, That's because the plant-based materials used to make our compostable bag have different sound qualities than the materials used to make our other bags. Although our compostable bag is a bit louder, we hope you'll appreciate its environmental benefits.


{washingtoncitypaper.com}

People are pissed off about environmentally unfriendly plastic. But people are even more pissed off about the noise level of SunChips‘ new compostable bag, which the Wall Street Journal reports is as loud as a jet cockpit, registering 95 decibels on a sound meter.

The inevitable Facebook group has emerged. Its name is in ALL CAPS, no doubt to emphasize the SHOUTING required to talk over a SunChips bag.SORRY BUT I CAN’T HEAR YOU OVER THIS SUN CHIPS BAG already has nearly 40,000 followers — or whatever Facebook calls these people now.

Over at Serious Eats, Y&H’s friend Erin Zimmer has put together this video to give you an idea of exactly how loud the new bag is. You might want to grab earplugs first.

No comments:

Post a Comment