Monday, September 2, 2013

watermelon cakepops


This weekend was the end of summer for Minnesota folks. Tomorrow school buses will be loaded with kids sporting new shoes and stuffed backpacks. This year, I will have all three kids in school for the first time. To savor summer our last weekend was filled with pool parties, sleepovers, amusement parks, crawfish boils and watermelon cake pops!

My ten year old daughter is now on pinterest. She has many boards devoted to food categories, one in particular "cakepops". The watermelon variety has been at the top of her wish list for a while. So we finally made them.

Take one Strawberry cakemix bake it like a regular cake, then cool and crumble it. I crumble it in my kitchen aid mixer (way easier). Then add some cream cheese frosting until the mixture is moist and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. I would say it feels like playdoh. Transfer the dough to a sealed container and chill it in the fridge for a few hours. 

When you are ready to roll the cakeballs, add the mini chocolate chips. It is a bit tricky-too many chocolate chips and the cake ball doesn't hold its shape. So best to have too few than too many mini chocolate chips. Watch this video by Bakerella if you would like to get super technical. Making cakepops just takes practice. My first batch looked sub-par and tasted great. 

I saw other watermelon cakepops on pinterest that were perfect renditions of watermelons, with painted rinds. I just went for the abstract vibe with some sparkly green sugar. I also skipped the white layer. It is easier and kids don't mind. They are eating them too fast to even notice anything is missing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment