Monday, October 6, 2014

show me don't tell me

Ha! 1989 mega bangs. I cannot believe my parents let this happen. Either I was mega headstrong (highly likely), they didn't realize this was wrong or they were totally amused. Judging by this photo, they were highly amused. Look at this, they propped me by "wow, what a deal". I just showed this photo to my kids. They were highly amused as well. 

Drawing was done by my little guy. I love this quote. Everyone you meet knows something you don't. So be kind, you never know what you might learn from someone else. Even the ding-bat playing on his phone when he should be driving... he might have an amazing knowledge nugget.

In Minnesota, we are often labeled "Minnesota Nice" because we are so helpful and kind. Here is the exact definition from wikipedia "Minnesota nice is the stereotypical behavior of people born and raised in Minnesota to be courteous, reserved and mild-mannered. The cultural characteristics of Minnesota nice include a polite friendliness, an aversion to confrontation, a tendency toward understatement, a disinclination to make a fuss or stand out, emotional restraint, and self-deprecation."

I feel it is more about Minnesota "Passive Aggressive". Yeah, you betcha we make nice and awesome tater-tot hot dish but don't ask us to answer a tough question with straight up honesty. BTW, it's Duck Duck Gray Duck.
Oh my brave Grandma Marvel wrangling two wiggly giggly girls in the pool. This photo is a testament of her patience with us. Pretty certain she had to be near 70 years old in this photo. My Grandmother was part of the Asians in Minnesota Oral History Project. Click this link and you can read more about her story and even hear her interview. The story was collected a few weeks after my sister was born in 1979. I love her sweet voice. I still miss her so much.


What does a parent do with a pair of construction paper sandals from a first grader? There would be a bucket of tears if I tossed these shoes out. So for now, I am still trying to convince that this sweet photo collage is enough to hang on to.

This is my Mom, all fancy her in fur (not sure if it's real). She has a talent for saying something profound and then looking down for impact. She makes that exact facial expression, then she waits a bit to look back at you. Silence can be the best negotiation tool and she knows it.


Wonder where this all started? click here


No comments:

Post a Comment