Monday, October 27, 2014

Show me, don't tell me


Only look back to see how far you have come. Hindsight is 20/20. When you know better you do better. Just keep going. Learn and move along.
You have nothing to prove and everything to be. Nothing like a giraffe dress, puffy sleeves and Elton John wanna-be glasses to make that point. Do your thing, don't over-think everything.
The worse feeling is not being lonely it is being forgotten by someone you would never forget. This image is from the early 1980's in Chuck E. Cheese plastic ball pit. I am dragging my sister out of the pit upon her request (no brutality caught on this pic). Lovely matching t-shirts and I am certain shorty-short shorts. Back to the quote, being lonely is no big deal. Being forgotten is a whole other thing, the worst thing. True story.
Enjoy life, this is not a rehearsal! My daughter is a true blue Gemini. She is either wacky silly (like the photo above) or an uber-serious watcher, tracking everything she lays her eyes on. I love it when I can bust her out of her serious mode and even better when she allows me to document it. Gotcha!

This photo is odd, my mom doesn't really like ice-cream. However in this photo she seems game about it. It's almost as if she likes it. I didn't take this shot and don't recall this moment. It's a great image for this quote. We all make choices but in the end our choices make us. Everyday we are making choices, big ones, little ones and random ones. In the end, they all roll together to make us, so choose carefully. I will take Salted Caramel Pretzel ice cream in a chocolate dipped waffle cone with two maraschino cherries on top. Ha kidding, all I ever really want is a NAP.
Kid art alert. My little guy loves to make these random drawings. I love his use of color and lack of fear. I also really enjoy the fact that he is silent for 5-10 minutes. If you met him, you would understand. The kid is only silent when he is sleeping, chewing food or making art. About once a month he willingly plays the "silent game" while we are driving. I am blessed with a few glorious silent minutes. I never understood the saying "silence is golden" until I had three kids.

Back to the quote. Never apologize for having high standards. People who want to be in your life will rise up to meet them. I expect a lot from myself and others (even my kids). It might sound harsh at times, but it really comes from a loving place. I believe in myself and others. I believe we can all do more than we are doing today. We can be more, make more, make life better. And if we can, why not do it? Don't drop those standards. Keep pushing forward.
The woman with the shades in my mom. I hated those shades. I used to hide those shades so she could not find them. I would dance a little celebratory dance in private feeling like my life would be fabulous now that she would not be wearing THOSE shades when she drops me off at dance class or comes to pick me up from my Track Meet. I was such a silly child fool. I should not have celebrated. Wanna know why? Because she would always find another pair. Not just any pair, the exact same model. I don't know how she did it. Maybe sheer determination? Those shades were NOT cool in the 1980s, not one bit.

BTW, she still wears them now. I am so serious. Maybe that's why I generally refuse to wear any sort of shades? Memories...


Wonder where this all started from? click here

No comments:

Post a Comment