Monday, November 24, 2014

show me, don't tell me

Do not rush and never settle. If it is meant to be, it will be. My Great Aunt Grace was a world traveler, spoke several languages, amazing photographer, seamstress with a killer sense of style. I wish I could have met her. I am certain her stories would be glorious. She was more feisty in the 1940s than gals I know today. 

Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is the best thing for you. This photo is from the 1940's in Loring Park, Minnesota. My Mother in her latest Winter Snowsuit with my Grandfather, Stanley.

Old ways will not open new doors. My mom, Great Aunt Grace and my Grandmother, Marvel all fancy in their Winter coats and furs. Most likely, Great Aunt Grace made her coat. I have a few of her handmade coats, they fit me perfectly.

See the light in others and treat them as if that is all you see. It is good advice, a bit hard to follow sometimes. Try it for a whole day or even a week. Find something good about everyone around you and treat them as if that is all you see. Your change might create a greater change.

I find this photo a bit odd. It is my mom, but she is allergic to cats. But really, who can resist an adorable tiny kitten? No one! I love the wallpaper pattern and the TV.

The world will break your heart ten ways till Sunday, that's guaranteed. The quote is from "Silver Linings Playbook". If you have not seen that movie yet, do it. I won't over-promise how good it will be, because then you will expect too much from it. Just watch it.

In my Chinese family, food was and is LOVE. I could always count on large family dinners with many extended "family members". I looked forward to those long dinners. Sometimes I only ate the vegetable garnishes and white rice because I was going through a no-meat phase. I also dislike most seafood, which is criminal in a Chinese family. If I was served seafood by accident by an elder, it was considered rude to throw a fit or not eat the seafood. I would quietly sneak the seafood into my mom's rice bowl. We didn't talk about nitty gritty drama or messy life details. Comfort came from making food, talking about food, eating food and sometimes taking photos of food. I can't tell you how many rolls of film where of only food. The original instagram foodies from the 1940s.

I am still trying to track down the origins of this photo. I love the wallpaper and wish the photo was in color. My Grandmother is the beautiful woman on the right. My mom is peering over the chair at the end of the table. Look at that adorable bow in her hair.

The lady in the middle is my Great Aunt Grace and to the right, is Bitty, her husband. I am not sure who the man is on the left. Man oh man, do they have style. Grace made that outfit too!
Yep, we all have that one sister. And if you don't have that one "sister" than you have that one "aunt" or "friend". Yes, it's Grace again making gestures. It's okay, my mom (the little cutie on the left) doesn't seem to notice.

Do you wonder where this all started from? click here

No comments:

Post a Comment