Monday, April 6, 2015

show me, don't tell me

Be all in or get out all out. There is no half way. My mom in a Easter basket in the 1940's in Minneapolis. She was an 1980's Tiger Mom. She was the kind of Mom that made kids' parents sign a legal form saying it wasn't her fault if they got hurt on our playground. She was also the same Mom that would come outside to that playground on a very hot summer day with popsicles. "Hey, you kids want a nice popsicle? Yes? Okay, well here's a bag... fill it up with weeds and then you can have one". Insert eye roll from offspring and the downward stare of shame.

"Kym, your mom is so weird"

Now that I am a mom, I think that weed trick was freaking brilliant. And the legal form, also a good plan. Her fashion sense was still a bit off, but no one is perfect. 

Be curious not judgmental. Easter with a really creepy bunny 1980's style. I still have that dress. I can't get anyone to fess up who made it. I love the knee high socks and black shoes.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. Well this bunny is certainly more creepy than the previous bunny! I asked my Mom about this one. She can't remember when or where it happened. I told her it looks like outside a parking lot. Why did they let us sit with this bunny? He or she had to be a bit hot? Clearly I am okay with allowing my sister to get close but I won't have any of it.

Effort is attractive. I remember this day. We didn't have baskets for some reason, so my Grandma Marvel gave me her hair scarf and pulled out a plastic bag from her purse for my sister. Grandma always saved plastic bags. She would fold them up neatly, keeping a few in her purse and the rest in one kitchen drawer. They also had a paper cup filled with the rubber bands from the newspapers. Who reads a newspaper these days? I think the last time we had one delivered to our house was 2004.
You go and find who you really are, and do not let anyone stop you. It's me and my wild hair in the early 1980s. I am outside my Grandparents Towers Condo near Hennepin and 1st St South (Minneapolis, MN). You can see the Grain Belt Beer sign in the distance. That sign is still there.
 You must know what you want, to find what you want. My mom in the 1940's.
Death leaves a hurt no one can heal. Love leaves memories no one can steal.  12 years ago my Grandpa Bill passed away. He is the fella holding the baby (my Dad). My Grandma Winnie and Bill would bicker up a storm. I should have video taped them. They would have made some killer Vine clips. Grandpa Bill died a little over a month before my first child and his first Great-Grandchild was born. It's hard to believe that time has gone by this fast. I am grateful for the time I had with my Grandparents. They were a big part of my life and I still miss them very much.

Wonder where this all started from? click here.  I was asked by a few folks if I sell these images. I just started up a Society6. Check it out if you might be interested in a print or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment