Monday, December 15, 2014

show me, don't tell me

A measure of success is how we cope with change. The cute couple above is my Great-Grandparents, the Hukill's. I really don't remember much of Maybelle. I spent more time with Great Grandpa. He made wonderful homemade bread, loved jam, linguistics puzzles and had a great sense of humor. I heard once he gave my Dad an industrial-sized can of peas. My dad hates peas.
Nobody is superior. Nobody is inferior. But nobody is equal either. People are unique. Incomparable. You are You. I am I. The photo above is "Teddy Bear Day" from Winnetka Elementary in the early 1980s. I can't be certain, but I am thinking this is either first grade or second grade.
Being powerful is like being a lady, if you tell someone you are, you're not. Another photo featuring my Great Aunt Grace. Lady of adventure who was always traveling the world. She was powerful and bold, her actions told you that.
What is done in love, is done well. My mom is in the middle, her hair is perfection! I love this photo because you can really see how my mom is a blend of both of her parents. And they all look so fancy in their classic coats. 
Before you assume try the crazy method of asking. You know the saying if you "assume"... you make an "*ss" out of "u" and "me". My personal motto is "assume positive intent". Most people are doing their best to create good in the world, either for themselves or others.
Hurt me with the truth but never comfort me with a lie. My jaw dropped when I saw this photo for two reasons. Reason number one, it appears I am wearing footie pajamas and I am not screaming from being too hot. I am always too hot and I hate being hot. Reason number two, my Grandpa Stanley is hugging me. He was not much of a hugger and I am shocked there is a photo documenting a hug situation. 
Exist on your own terms and that is all. All kids, love to hide in blankets. It's fun, especially blanket forts.  At our house, you can find at least one blanket fort ready for your enjoyment. The only trick is knowing the secret password to gain access. And be prepared to get really hot in that blanket fort.
Wonder where this first started? Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment