Friday, September 3, 2010

john derian for Target : fall 2010










{latimesblogs.latimes.com}

New York designer John Derian's new fall collection for Target caught my eye when I saw his whimsical designs in the store's online "look book" sent to writers and editors for previewing. Curious to see how the items compared with the photographs, I got my hands on some samples and am happy to report: They did not disappoint me or my colleagues, as an audience quickly gathered when I unwrapped the fun mix-and-match plates, platters and serving trays at my desk.

Derian made his name as a decoupage artist whose glass tableware was made with color reproductions of 18th and 19th century illustrations. His new Target collection is a more affordable take on the same approach, with melamine pieces that seem perfect for a tea party or picnic.

Dreamlike images of butterflies, dahlias, leaves and feathers decorate the nearly 100 items, each under $25. Decorative trays such as the ones shown above ($12.99 apiece) are complemented with melamine dinnerware, ceramic mugs, coasters, stationery sets, notebooks and fabric-covered storage bins. The melamine pieces we sampled felt substantial and carried the same spirit (if not exactly the same look) as the original, more expensive glass pieces.

The collection officially premieres Sept. 5 and will be available for a limited time at www.target.comand select stores.

1 comment:

  1. I went online Sept 6th to buy the three tier stand and it was already sold out. So I called 5 stores and only one had one left... thankfully they put it on hold for me. So I can say I am proud owner of the floral three tier stand. It looks perfect in my gray kitchen near my plum living room. thank you john derian.

    ReplyDelete